BBQ has been a long-standing favorite of mine and summertime sure seems to bring with its arrival, the faintest scent of barbecue. Since transitioning to a plant-based diet a few years back, BBQ has been my most missed flavor. We have definitely used creativity to implement classic favorites into a plant-based diet and believe me when I tell you not all of them have been successful or palatable for that matter.
Processed veggie burgers aren’t really my thing and homemade veggie burgers can be time-consuming to make before a last-minute gathering so the carrot dog found its way into my top favorite creative classics with a twist. Yup, carrot dogs are just as they sound! A cooked carrot on a hot dog bun of your choice with whatever fixin’s your heart desires. And they couldn’t be more simple!
• Buy a bag or a bunch of large organic carrots
• Buns of your choice
• Onions, sauerkraut, cucumbers, lettuce, sweet peppers, whatever sounds delectable to you!
Lets be honest, it’s all about the right texture:
• Wash carrots and cut each carrot in half (vertically)
• Boil carrots for near an hour or until soft
• Drizzle olive oil over carrots and place directly on grill rack or lightly coat a cast iron pan and place carrots side by side, flipping until evenly charred, or to your liking.
• Put that carrot on a bun and dress it up like its going somewhere fabulous (your stomach is pretty fabulous, right? I hope you said yes). The more color the better!
• Add a side of hickory, maple baked beans, a crisp green summer salad, fresh fruit, and an ear of organically grown sweet corn. You’ll be just as happy as your fellow barbecuers and a lot more festive with your plate of vibrant color!
What are your favorite or go-to veggie recipes?
I am always looking for new concoctions to test so please do share your favorites or even your most disastrous dishes with me below!
Thank you for joining me here!
On Instagram? Lets Connect! @Divinei
Did you miss my last post? Seven Magic Mountains