Yes, you read that correctly. Chocolate. Avocado. Mousse. You may be thinking what? Chocolate avocados? Gross! And I may have thought that as well had I read about it before trying it for myself. This decadent mousse has a sensational light, fluffy texture and is rich in flavor as well as vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients all because of the avocado’s! There is no sacrifice in taste or the perfectly whipped consistency one counts on from a classic mousse. And if you’re not an avocado fan on a normal day this might just turn you onto the nearly sugarless yet nutrient dense fruit. I’m honestly shocked mousse was ever made any another way.
In the summer of 2016, a friend of mine offered a version of chocolate mousse as a dessert for her baby shower. At first all I knew was it happened to be vegan and I was absolutely floored by how delicious it was. I asked the host how she concocted it and she responded “avocado’s and chocolate!” I quickly went on a mad-hatter, mousse making tangent to find the most delightful combination of this palatable, whipped delicacy. I played around with both chocolate chips and cocoa powder and concluded to stick with the chips. The cocoa powder will make for a more bitter mousse but if that’s your thing by all means, use the same recipe with more sweetener than you would with the chips.
- 3 ripe avocado’s
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or cacao or cocoa powder (see Vegan Banana Bread Recipe for my favorite vegan chocolate chips. Trader Joe’s also happen to be vegan.)
- ¼ – ½ cup plant-based milk ( I used Almond milk for this recipe.)
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch or two of salt
- 2 – 6 tablespoons raw sugar or natural sweetener
- Melt chocolate chips into almond or other plant-based milk on stove top, stirring frequently. Use less milk for a thicker mousse.
- While chocolate melts scoop avocado meat from rind and place in blender or food processor.
- Once chocolate chips have melted place all ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place in individual serving dishes and let sit over night in the refrigerator. Top with fresh or frozen berries and enjoy!
*This recipe serves 4-6 people depending on serving size.*
Did you know avocado’s are 100% cholesterol free AND they aid the body in absorbing fat-soluble nutrients?! A pretty incredible little fruit right?
Thank you for joining me here and until next time,
Happy trails and mindful mousse eating ♥